Skip to main content.

National

Top Stories

Most Popular feed

No top stories at the moment

Mercedes ready to put focus on driver duel Open in new window
Source Icon DNA - India
Formula One leaders Mercedes recognised on Sunday that the title battle between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg has reached a point where the drivers will put their own interests first. Maybe what we decided at the beginning of the season doesn't function any more, team boss Toto Wolff told reporters at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday. We cannot really ask either driver to give up their position or jeopardise their own championship chances for the benefit of the team, added the Mercedes motorsport head. Hamilton refused a request in the race to allow championship-leading team mate Rosberg, who had started on pole but was behind him on a different strategy and still had a pitstop to make, through. The message 'don't hold him up' was made twice to Hamilton, who eventually finished third with Rosberg fourth, over the radio with a third of the race remaining. I'm not letting him past me, if he gets close enough to overtake he can overtake, replied the 2008 champion, who stayed ahead for eight more laps until Rosberg pitted. Had the Briton made way, Rosberg - who denied making any request to be let through - might have been able to win for Mercedes instead of both being beaten by Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo. But Hamilton, who had started from the pitlane, would have fallen further behind in the championship instead of cutting the gap to 11 points with eight races remaining. VERY SHOCKED Hamilton said he was very, very shocked by the request. I was in the same race as him. Just because he had one more stop than me doesn't mean I wasn't in the same race as him, he explained. And naturally if I'd have let him past, he would have had the opportunity to pull away and when he does pit, he's going to come back and overtake me. To be honest, he didn't get close enough to overtake but I was never going to lift off and lose ground to Fernando (Alonso) or Daniel to enable him to have a better race. So that was a bit strange. Mercedes, dominant this season, have made a point of not imposing 'team orders' in an effort to keep the fans entertained but that has brought friction between their drivers as well as some thrilling wheel-to-wheel battles.  Wolff said in March that the pair were free to race, within defined limits and as long as the team did not lose out. He said on Sunday that with Mercedes now 174 points clear or Red Bull in the constructors' championship, and the drivers in a duel of their own for that title, there needed to be a fresh discussion of how to proceed. It's a difficult situation now, he said. The longer the season goes, the more intense it gets. At the beginning of the season it was easy to say these are the rules and this is how we are going to do it. Now it's clear these two are fighting for the world championship and it's more intense. We need to sit down and discuss it. Mercedes have won nine of the 11 races to date - five for Hamilton - and Rosberg had been expected to celebrate his fifth on Sunday after starting from pole position with Hamilton last. Instead, the safety car threw the race on its head with Rosberg on a three stop to Hamilton's two. Niki Lauda, the retired three-times world champion who is now non-executive chairman of Mercedes, said Hamilton did what he had to do. I do understand that Lewis said 'Why? Why should I stop now in the middle of the circuit to let my team colleague by.' He is fighting for the championship, he told reporters. From my point of view, Lewis was right. Why the call came, this happened out of the panic and we had to make up for what we were losing. The call was unnecessary, afterwards, but it was made. Lewis ignored it and finished third, so looking backwards nothing wrong from my point of view, he said. It is important Lewis said 'No, I'm racing my team-mate anyway'. So he did the right thing.  ReportSportReutersBudapest (Hungary)MercedesNiki LaudaLewis HamiltonNico Rosbergformula 1Red BullDaniel RicciardoHungaryGrand PrixToto WolffMonday, 28 July 2014 - 2:16pmMonday, 28 July 2014 - 2:16pm The rivalry between Team Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton (L) and Nico Rosberg (R) has become a worrying cause for the team management.dnai.in/ciiw

Guru Dutt?s son Arun passes away Open in new window
The Hindu
Arun Dutt, son of legendary Hindi film actor-director Guru Dutt, passed away in a hospital here due to a kidney ailment, a family source said on Sunday. Arun, 58, passed away on Saturday...

Madhya Pradesh's BJP government to bring out daily on the lines of Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna Open in new window
Source Icon DNA - India
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has said that the ruling BJP in the state will soon bring out a daily on the lines of the Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamana. The Chief Minister made this announcement last night at a dinner hosted by him for officer bearers of the BJP's state election cell, party spokespersons and organisational secretaries. Chouhan said that the new daily can be used to take directly to the people, the views of the party and the government on various issues. He said that people associated with the BJP would write in the proposed newspaper which would reach to around 10 lakh party workers in the state. The dinner meeting lasted around three hours and during this time, the Chief Minister held detailed discussions with those present on the media strategy to be adopted by his government. ReportIndiaPTIBhopalShivraj Singh ChouhanBharatiya Janata Party (BJP)Shiv SenaSaamnaMadhya PradeshMonday, 28 July 2014 - 1:49pm Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhandnai.in/ciiv

Court adjourns Satyam case to Aug 11 Open in new window
Deccan Herald
A local court trying the case of multi-crore accounting fraud in erstwhile Satyam Computer Services Limited (SCSL) today adjourned the proceedings to August 11, as the judge was on leave.Special Judge B V L N Chakravarthi of XXI court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) had last month posted the case for today, for giving a date for pronouncement of judgement in the case and had summoned all the 10 accused, including Satyam Computers founder and former chairman B Ramalinga Raju, the prime accused.As the judge of the special court was on leave, the matter was adjourned to August 11 for giving a date of verdict in the case.The trial in Satyam fraud case had concluded in second half of June before the special court, which examined 216 witnesses and marked 3,038 documents during the course of the hearing.Touted as the countrys biggest accounting fraud, the scam came to light on January 7, 2009, after Ramalinga Raju allegedly confessed to manipulating his companys account books and inflating profits over many years to the tune of several crores of rupees.During the trial, the CBI alleged that the scam caused a loss of Rs 14,000 crore to Satyam shareholders, while the defence countered the charges, saying the accused were not responsible for the fraud and all the documents filed by the central agency relating to the case were fabricated and not according to law.

Liquor seized from luxury boat in Kochi Open in new window
The Hindu
Police seized liquor and suspected narcotic drugs from a private luxury tourist boat that operated from Marine Drive on Sunday night.

Vaigai dam level rises, but officials cautious of supply to Madurai Open in new window
The Hindu
In May, the storage level in Vaigai dam touched 21 feet, which was the lowest recorded in the last decade.

Seven-year-old girl sexually assaulted in Mangalore Open in new window
The Hindu
A seven-year-old girl was sexually assaulted, allegedly by a 16-year-old boy, near Moodbidri on Saturday. According to the police, the girl was going home from the market around 5 p.m. when the boy...

Sintex buys French company for 18 million euros Open in new window
The Hindu
Sintex Industries, a leading player in the Indian plastic and textile segments, has announced the acquisition of Simonin of France through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sintex NP SAS, France.

Thane: Two minor sisters go missing; police suspect kidnapping Open in new window
Source Icon Oneindia
Thane, Jul 28: Two minor sisters have allegedly been kidnapped from Nallasopara area of Thane district, police said today. The two girls, aged 14 and 10 years, had gone to their school on Saturday, but did not return home, Nallasopara

Billionaire Jaipuria to Launch Restaurant Chain in Singapore Open in new window
NDTV
Indian billionaire Ravi Jaipuria is planning to set up his South Indian restaurant chain 'Vaango' in Singapore next year.

CoS approves rejig of gas policy; city gas to get top priority Open in new window
Deccan Herald
A Committee of Secretaries has approved a rejig of natural gas allocation policy, giving city gas distribution firms like Indraprastha Gas Ltd top priority for allocation of domestically produced fuel.The CoS approved a proposal of Oil Ministry for changes in priority ranking for gas allocation, official sources said. The issue will now go to the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) for final approval.At present, urea-manufacturing fertiliser plants have the first right over the domestically produced gas, followed by liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) plants and power stations. City gas distribution (CGD) projects are ranked fourth in the priority list.The CoS agreed to change this priority listing to give CGD firms like IGL, which sells CNG to automobiles and piped gas to households in the national capital, top priority, they said.CGD firms like IGL currently get 8.32 million standard cubic meters per day of gas out of total domestic supplies of about 77 mmscmd. As city gas projects get rolled out in new cities, the requirement of the sector will grow and so the government is now giving it top priority.Sources said compressed natural gas (CNG) and piped natural gas (PNG) are clean fuels and will help replace subsidised diesel in automobiles and LPG in households respectively.According to the new allocation policy, additional requirement for CGD will be first met by imposing proportionate cuts in the domestic gas presently being supplied to sectors other than priority sectors as decided by the Oil Ministry.Plants providing inputs to strategic sectors of atomic energy and space research will get the second priority, followed by plants that can extract higher fractions from natural gas. Gas-based urea plants will rank fourth in the priority list and power stations fifth.Since domestic gas production is now stagnant, it is being proposed to freeze allocation to all sectors expect CGD and LPG sector, at supply levels of 2013-14.In 2013-14, fertiliser plants received 29.79 mmscmd of gas. Power plants got 25.59 mmscmd while LPG extraction plants received 1.83 mmscmd. Petrochemical plants received 3.32 mmscmd while refineries got 1.89 mmscmd and steel plants 1.32 mmscmd.Sources said incremental production from NELP blocks like KG-D6 and Gujarat State Petroleum Corps (GSPC) Deendayal gas will be allocated as per the decision taken in the meeting of an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) on August 23, 2013.The EGoM had decided that incremental gas would go to power plants. The requirement of CGD project is quite small compared to power and fertiliser sectors and can be met through proportionate cuts, they said.

No probe in reported bugging at Gadkari home: Minister Open in new window
Deccan Herald
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju Monday denied any probe into the reported bugging at union minister Nitin Gadkaris residence.The minister himself has said the reports are speculative... How can we comment on it, Rijiju said when he was asked if the home ministry would probe the bugging reports.There is nothing concrete in it, the minister said. Media reports Sunday said bugging devices were found at Gadkaris Delhi residence. This was however denied by Gadkari and those close to him.Reports in a section of the media about listening devices having been found at my New Delhi residence are highly speculative, Gadkari tweeted.Congress demanded a probe into the allegations, with former prime minister Manmohan Singh saying it is not a good omen.If ministers houses are bugged, then it is not a good omen. It should be investigated. How can it happen? It should be explained by the government in the house, the former prime minister told reporters at an Iftar get-together hosted by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.

Heavy container kills two in Thane; angry villagers run amok Open in new window
Source Icon Oneindia
Thane, Jul 28: Irate villagers damaged several vehicles in Murbad here today when they ran amok over an accident at Shivla Phata, which claimed two lives, police said. According to police, the accident took place around 8AM when the goods

Shimla gets Himachal's first water-dispensing ATM Open in new window
Source Icon Oneindia
Shimla, July 28: Now, you can buy drinking water by using an ATM card in this Himachal Pradesh capital, the first in the state and perhaps in the country.Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh Monday opened the innovative water dispensing system at the

Gaza fighting abates as diplomatic tension flares Open in new window
Source Icon Reuters
GAZA/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel eased its assaults in the Gaza Strip and Palestinian rocket fire from the enclave declined sharply on Monday, the military said, with both the United States and United Nations calling for a durable ceasefire.

Court adjourns Satyam case to August 11 Open in new window
The Hindu
A local court trying the case of multi-crore accounting fraud in erstwhile Satyam Computer Services Limited (SCSL) on Monday adjourned the proceedings to August 11, as the judge was on leave. ...

Adani?s Australia coal mine project cleared Open in new window
The Hindu
Australian government on Monday cleared the proposed Carmichael coal mine project of the Indian conglomerate Adani Mining in the Galilee Basin in central Queensland. This is expected to p...

Sena dubs assault on Marathis in K'taka as "Kannada terrorism" Open in new window
Source Icon Oneindia
Mumbai, Jul 28: The Shiv Sena today termed the assault on Marathi-speaking populace in Karnataka by the police there as Kannada terrorism and asked the Narendra Modi government to intervene. In Mumbai, the Karnataka Bhawan and Karnataka

Eastern Naval Command to Celebrate Platinum Jubilee of INS Circars Open in new window
NDTV
INS Circars, the premier depot ship of the Eastern Naval Command (ENC), is gearing up to host an array of activities including a blood donation camp, visits to orphanages, old age homes and construct...

Re-laid NH stretch in disrepair in Kerala Open in new window
The Hindu
Almost 50 per cent of the 20-km stretch of the National Highway 66 passing through Alappuzha town, which was re-laid recently, has become deformed and non-motorable giving rise to doubts about the workmanship, quality of work, and the materials used.

Filipino extremists kill at least 16 villagers Open in new window
The Hindu
Philippine military officials say Abu Sayyaf gunmen have killed at least 16 villagers, including women and children, in a road attack as the civilians travelled in two vans to visit relatives at t...

Five killed in Uttarakhand landslide, heavy rain alert Open in new window
Deccan Herald
Five people were killed in a landslide in Uttarakhand and the meteorological department Monday warned of another round of incessant downpour within 48 hours.Heavy rain pounded the state 10 days back. The rain alert has been sounded for most areas of the state, including Nainital, Chamoli, Champawat, Uttarkashi and the state capital Dehradun.Following the warning, disaster management teams have been asked to be on standby. Officials have been asked to be extra vigilant in areas adjacent to rivers, many of which are in spate owing to the heavy rain that lashed the state July 16-17. A massive landslide in Pangla of the Dharchula area Sunday killed five of a family. The landslide was triggered by heavy rain in the region since Saturday night.The condition of three others, who were trapped in the mud after the landslide, continues to be critical at a medical facility in Dharchula, a district official informed IANS. Chief Minister Harish Rawat, the official said, was monitoring the situation personally and has ordered ex-gratia payment for the families of those killed in the landslide.

Café entrepreneurs out to carve a delicious, non-traditional niche in Delhi Open in new window
The Hindu
With new eateries popping up daily, the café industry in Delhi is witnessing a delicious competition. To give themselves a head start, three cafés that opened recently in South Delhi are trying to...

?Mental health units to come up in 28 districts of Karnataka? Open in new window
The Hindu
K.A. Ashok Pai, chairman of Karnataka State Mental Health Task Force, said on Saturday that district mental health units will be started in the remaining 28 districts of the State. Addressi...

?Leaders? help needed to add Tulu in 8th Schedule? Open in new window
The Hindu
Writers, at a meeting here on Sunday, blamed lack of a political will for Tulu not being included in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution, .Tulu Koota, Kudla had organised the meeting to...



« Back   Next »   (Page 3 of 936)